Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Disney Isn’t the Only Author of Fairytales


                                            
       So before I start, here is a fun fact about Karel: My all-time favorite Disney princess in Rapunzel. So obviously, my favorite Disney movie is Tangled. I know the words to every song, I can quote the movie almost line by line, and I even buy myself Tangled things (even though Im 19). All that to say, the reason this movie is my favorite is because the story, or even better said, this fairytale, is relatable to my life. No, Disney didn’t write my life or base Tangled off of mine, but they still relate. Rapunzel feels trapped in a place she doesn’t belong. There is a world out there that Rapunzel dreams of exploring and although that journey may be difficult and full of both failures and successes, she doesn’t give up. She longs for something that she can’t get on her own and realizes she needs help from someone who loves her, can protect her, and knows more than she does. She finds this hero and leader in Flynn Rider, who comes into her life right when she needs him to. Although she was hesitant to trust Flynn at first, she soon realized that he was what she needed and from then on out, he proves that he was one who would save her and love her forever. Rapunzel had a goal and the reward at the end of her race makes the long journey to the finish line completely worth it. At the end of her race, she came face to face with her mother and father. She was accepted, cherished, and welcomed with the warm embrace of the ones she longed to meet. And at that point, she was finally home. At her real home, with the people who loved her the most.



       I am in the same situation Rapunzel was in. I am in a place that is not my home. I am not in a place (yet) where sadness is absent, pain is gone, and happiness is unending. The journey of my life is getting there. Getting to that place of perfection where my Father will greet me with a warm embrace and I will finally be home, where I belong, with the One who loves me most. And once again like Rapunzel, I cannot reach the finish line on my own. I am not strong enough or wise enough to take on the dangerous woods, soldiers, and darkness alone. Rapunzel was given her hero and “savior”, Flynn Rider at the exact moment she needed him. The same happened for me, but I was given Jesus. He came into my life when I needed him and despite my lack of trust and faith in his abilities and plan, he never left my side. He guided me through the woods, past the soldiers, and into the light like only he can. There have been many many trials I have gone through during my journey, but I have never faced any of them alone. Flynn was there to stay by Rapunzel’s side, and Jesus is here to stay by mine.
       Even though Rapunzel has a happy ending, that doesn’t mean there weren’t difficulties, trials, and stumbling blocks along the way. Rapunzel could have given up when the King’s guards chased them, when Gothel found her, when Flynn was captured, or later when Gothel almost killed Flynn. But she chose to fight against the evil and fight for what was good. When the man she loved was dying in her arms it would have been easy for her to give up and pity herself but no, she kept fighting. She told Gothel, “No, I will not stop! For every minute for the rest of my life, I will fight. And I will never stop fighting until I get away from you! But if you let me save him I will go with you. Just let me heal him and you and I can be together I promise just like what you want just let me heal him.” Gothel was taken back by this but still wouldn’t give in. Rapunzel was willing to sacrifice her freedom to save the man she loved, which is one of the most courageous things she could have done. Finally, when Gothel thought she had won, Flynn was healed and Gothel was defeated. Rapunzel was free and she and Flynn could continue their journey together, to reunite her with her real family and her real home. At this point in the movie, it is shown that love conquers all and is the greatest power of all.
               Once again, like Rapunzel, Jesus made the greatest sacrifice so we could live and be free. He did this knowing that he would be tortured and that God would turn his face away from him. Jesus did this selflessly and without delay. Why? Because he loves us. It is amazing the things that love can overcome which is why Jesus says, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13:13). There are obstacles that we will face in life where we have to sacrifice for someone, and when you do, it always makes you stronger and teaches you to love deeper.
       Now, we can’t talk about Tangled without bringing up Pascal and Maximus, Flynn and Rapunzel’s faithful friends. Friends who happen to be a lizard and royal horse. But what Disney princess doesn’t have animals as her friends? Anyways, Rapunzel has friends who keep her encouraged, happy, and cheerful. They are there for her to talk to when she’s happy, sad, or confused. They support her and never leave her side. There are times Pascal is scared and suspicious of Flynn and the places they go on their adventures, but he still supports Rapunzel and makes sure she is safe. Maximus is the same- he makes sure Rapunzel is safe and stays loyal to her, no matter what happens. True friends are a huge part of why Rapunzel did not give up and how she made it through the good times and not so good times. This is something that is completely true in real life. It’s not just princesses and fictional characters who have loyal and caring friends. Without people (or animals) there to push you along when you get weak and cheer you on when you cross the finish line, it would be much harder to press on. God has blessed me with Maximus and Pascals and they have all helped me to make it through the dark and lonely times when I thought I couldn’t go on any longer. Friends are a necessity in life because they pick you up when you fall and give you hope when you’ve given up on yourself.

       Now for some not so happy parts about Tangled. One lesson Rapunzel learns is that bad choices lead to consequences. She chose to go behind her step mother’s back, disobey her rules, and do what she wanted to do. She rebelled because she thought her way was better than her mother’s. Even if Rapunzel was right, she still disrespected her mother which led to consequences. Flynn got captured, the crown was stolen, and Rapunzel was taken back home. At this point, Rapunzel felt guilty and remorse for what she had done, so she apologized to her mother, even though she still thought her mother was doing wrong by keeping her locked up. Even though Rapunzel did wrong by disobeying her mother, she did end up asking for forgiveness. As a result, Mother Gothel shows her forgiveness and accepts her apology. Rapunzel’s apology was sincere and true- she knew she was wrong to lie to her mother so she apologized because of it. On the other hand, the step mother’s forgiveness was selfish. She only wanted Rapunzel to stay in the castle because she wanted the benefits of having her there: The magic hair. The love that Mother Gothel had for Rapunzel was a love that existed only for personal gain. If Rapunzel didn’t have something Gothel wanted and needed, she could care less what happened to her. This is something we face in life day to day. We will hurt people and sin against them. When we do that, we are called to apologize and beg for their forgiveness like Rapunzel did. Not only does this help to repair the relationship that was broken because of sin, but it also is pleasing to God. On the other hand, when someone asks for you forgiveness, make sure your apology is genuine and that you truly mean it when you say, “I forgive you.” If you don’t do this, it can lead to bitterness and anger that can last a life time.  Jesus has shown us the ultimate example of forgiveness- he has forgiven our past, present, AND future sins! All of them. His blood that was poured out was to save us and forgive us. There is nothing we have done or can do that will change that. He has forgiven us completely, genuinely, and eternally. He is the light and life in the world that defeats darkness and death. And taking it back to Disney, Rapunzel’s light and kindness contrasts with Gothel’s darkness and selfishness.


       As cliché as Disney movie and fairytales are, they portray truth. The truth that goodness always conquers evil and that the light will always consume the darkness. The story of Rapunzel shows the need of someone greater than yourself to save you, the importance of friends, perseverance, and forgiveness. These are all things that we, as real people, who live real lives, in real cities face, and will continue to face our whole lives. Disney may have created and written this fairytale, but God has written mine and yours. And as great as Disney is, my God is better and the fairytale he has written for me is far greater than any story you can read in a book. It may not be as magical, colorful, and entertaining as Tangled, but it is your story and God has written it perfectly for you. But, you can still thank Disney for teaching you such great lessons through a fun and exciting fairytale. I bet you didn’t think Tangled was so deep and relatable did you? You’re welcome ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment